GoT: The Great Meereengue Pyramid
Game of Thrones season 7 continues! Time for another GoT dessert 💃🏻. This week I decided to make a coffee meringue pyramid in the spirit of the Great Meereen Pyramid.
First I made a batch of coffee meringues. I've never made meringues before but I actually didn't find them to be too bothersome. These are delicious all on their own by the way!
Then I made some coffee flavored pastry cream (also delicious on its own and honestly could be eaten with a spoon). I made a 4x4 square and then built it up from there, using the pastry cream to stick it all together.
After my great pyramid was made, I drizzled a mocha glaze over the whole thing and sprinkled with chopped pecans.
Look at that beauty! Coffee pecan heaven!
The pastry cream will soften your meringues so this does have to devoured in a timely fashion. You can make the meringues up to a week ahead of time, and the pastry cream up to a day before and assemble right before serving.
If a great pyramid isn't quite your style, you can make mini pyramids by piping a little pastry cream on the top of each meringue and drizzling a little coffee glaze and pecans on the top.
COFFEE MERINGUE INGREDIENTS makes about 30 2-inch meringues
4 large egg whites, about 113 grams, room temperature
.8 grams (¼ tsp) cream of tartar
2 grams (2 tsp) instant espresso powder
150 grams (¾ cup) caster sugar
120 grams (1 cup) powdered sugar
8 grams (1 tbs) all-purpose flour
COFFEE PASTRY CREAM INGREDIENTS
1 cup whole milk
½ cup heavy whipping cream
2 tsp vanilla extract
65 grams (⅓ cup) granulated sugar
1.5 grams (¼ tsp) salt
22 grams (3 tbs) cornstarch
5 large egg yokes, about 92 grams
1.5 grams (1 ½ tsp) instant espresso powder
MOCHA GLAZE INGREDIENTS
120 grams (1 cup) powdered sugar
1 gram (1 tsp) instant espresso powder
3 grams (1 tsp) cocoa powder
1 tsp vanilla extract
2-4 tbs whole milk or cream
COFFEE MERINGUE INSTRUCTIONS
- Preheat oven to 250℉ with a shelf in the lower third of oven and baking stone (or pizza stone), if you have it, placed on the shelf. Line a large cookie sheet with parchment or a silicone mat.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, fitted with the whisk attachment, beat egg whites with cream of tartar on low speed for about 30 seconds. Bring speed up to medium-high until soft peaks form.
- Add a bit of the caster sugar and the instant espresso powder and continue to beat on medium-high. Continue to add in a little caster sugar at a time until all but 2 tablespoons is incorporated. Beat until whites are smooth and shiny and very stiff peaks form when beater is lifted.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together remaining 2 tablespoons caster sugar, the powdered sugar, and flour. Sprinkle part of the sugar mixture on top of the meringue and fold in with a large spatula. Continue sprinkling and folding until all of the sugar mixture is incorporated.
- Pipe 1.5-inch to 2-inch rounds onto prepared baking sheet. They don't expand so try to fit them all on one sheet.
- Turn oven down to 200℉ and place baking sheet on baking stone and bake 1 hour and 45 minutes to 2 hours, until completely dry. Remove from oven and let cool completely.
COFFEE PASTRY CREAM INSTRUCTIONS
- Add milk, cream, and vanilla extract to a medium saucepan over medium heat until it starts to steam.
- In a second medium saucepan, whisk together sugar, salt, and cornstarch.
- Drizzle hot milk mixture into sugar mixture, whisking constantly. Heat on medium heat, stirring constantly until the mixture thickens.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together egg yolks.
- Stir about 1/4 cup of the hot mixture into the yolks, then mix with sugar/milk mixture.
- Place on medium heat and bring to a boil, stirring constantly, scraping the bottom, until the custards thickens and becomes smooth. Make sure to thoroughly boil.
- Transfer to a bowl and stir in espresso powder.
- Place plastic wrap on the pastry cream, making sure it's in full contact so a film doesn't develop. Keep refrigerated until use. Do not stir after it has cooled or it will thin out again.
MOCHA GLAZE INSTRUCTIONS
- Whisk together powdered sugar, espresso powder, and cocoa powder.
- In separate bowl, mix together 2 tablespoons milk and vanilla extract.
- Mix wet ingredients with dry ingredients until smooth. Add more milk if needed.
THE GREAT MEEREENGUE PYRAMID
- Place pastry cream in piping bag fitted with a large star tip.
- Make a 4x4 square of meringues.
- Using the pastry cream, stick on a second layer of 3x3 meringues.
- Continue with a layer of 4 and then 1.
- Pipe cream into holes.
- Drizzle with mocha glaze.
- Optional, sprinkle with chopped pecans.
Meringues will get soggy after a while of being in contact with pastry cream, so devour in a timely manner.
NUTRITION (30 meringues with pastry cream, glaze, and chopped pecans)
calories: 101, total fat: 3 g, saturated fat: 1 g, trans fat: 0 g, cholesterol: 41 mg, sodium: 34 mg, potassium: 43 mg, total carbohydrate: 17 g, dietary fiber: 0 g, sugars: 15 g, protein: 3 g