GoT: Almond Greyjoy Brownies
Game of Thrones is back! And you know what that means! After a long "wintermission", puns are coming! Well, they're actually here.
For my first GoT dessert this season, I whipped up coconut frosted brownies with pieces of Almond Joys and little krakens dusted on top to make them, Almond Greyjoy Brownies. Ta da!
I wanted to honor Reek and figured his last name would probably be a better starting place for a punny dessert... hahaha
And if you're not a GoT fan, you can always just make the brownies without the krakens! Coconut + chocolate is one of my fave flavor combos. And you could always dust on something else, if you feel like adding a little something-something.
And remember, a lion may be fierce enough on land, but at sea the Kraken rules supreme.
BROWNIE INGREDIENTS (makes 9 brownies)
227 grams (1 cup) butter, melted
396 grams (2 cups) granulated sugar
8 grams (2 tsp) vanilla extract
4 large eggs, about 200 grams
1 gram (1 tsp) instant espresso powder
125 grams (1 cup) all-purpose flour
62 grams (¾ cup) cocoa powder + extra for dusting
2.5 grams (½ tsp) baking powder
1.5 grams (¼ tsp) salt
8 snack size Almond Joys (4.8 ounces), roughly chopped
COCONUT FROSTING INGREDIENTS
137 grams (⅓ cup) unsalted butter, room temperature
74 grams (¼ cup) unsweetened canned coconut cream
300 grams (2 ½ cups) powdered sugar
2 grams (½ tsp) vanilla extract
1.5 grams (¼ tsp) salt
60 grams (1 cup) unsweetened shredded coconut
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a 9x9 brownie pan with parchment paper.
- Whisk instant espresso powder and vanilla extract into melted butter.
- Whisk sugar into butter mixture until incorporated.
- Add eggs, one at a time, to butter/sugar mixture, mixing well.
- In a separate bowl, sift together flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt.
- Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and mix until incorporated.
- Stir in chopped Almond Joys.
- Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake 40 to 45 minutes or until cake tester comes out clean, or with just a few crumbs.
- Cool completely in pan on wire rack. Meanwhile, make Coconut Frosting, recipe below.
- Once completely cooled, take out of pan, add a layer of Coconut Frosting to the top, cut into nine squares and dust on krakens, instructions below.
COCONUT FROSTING INSTRUCTIONS
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream together butter and coconut cream.
- Gradually add powdered sugar, beating until combined.
- Add vanilla extract and salt, increase speed to high, and beat until smooth and creamy.
- Add shredded coconut and continue to mix until well combined.
- Print out kraken graphic.
- Cut out kraken with an exacto knife. You're going to be using it as a stencil, so the black parts don't matter, you want to pay attention the outline left behind.
- Trim your newly made stencil to about the size of one of your brownie squares. Lay on top of brownie, making sure it's fully in contact with the frosting.
- Dust with cocoa powder using a fine sieve.
- Gently remove the paper and repeat with the rest of your brownies.
NUTRITION (9 brownies)
calories: 772, total fat: 40 g, saturated fat: 21 g, trans fat: 0 g, cholesterol: 156 mg, sodium: 330 mg, potassium: 41 mg, total carbohydrate: 101 g, dietary fiber: 4 g, sugars: 83 g, protein: 7 g